SunRidge Canyon Golf Club in Midst of Summer Improvements
SunRidge Canyon Golf Club is in the midst of a golf course enhancement project. The award-winning facility, ranked among the “Top 20 Best Courses You Can Play” in Arizona by Golf Magazine, will reopen on Saturday, September 29th with a new look and feel. Following a greens improvement project during the summer of 2015 and numerous course and facility enhancements during the summer of 2016, this year’s improvements include:
- The removal of bunkers on holes 1, 4, 7, 9, 10, 12 and 18 to make for better playability and pace of play
- With bunkers removed, crews have added more than 45,000 square-feet of turf, widening fairways and landing areas
- Levelling of tee boxes, with a focus on the par three tee boxes
- Expansion of tees on the 8th hole
- Desert brush removal throughout the property
- Clubhouse kitchen renovation that includes new flooring and equipmentCrews will also perform multiple aerifications and will be verticutting in August. Greens and fairways will also be top dressed, which will further improve playing surfaces. The course will be overseeded in September, creating excellent playing conditions when the course reopens on September 29th. When the newly overseeded course reopens, golf carts will be permitted to drive in the rough.
Recent course renovations have improved the playability and agronomic conditions at SunRidge Canyon and course raters have taken note, as SunRidge Canyon’s ranking has improved in Golfweek – moving from No. 26 in 2016’s listing of best golf courses in Arizona, to No. 23 in 2017.
Summer 2016 enhancements included the removal of several fairway bunkers to expand the fairways on holes #2 and #15; construction of a new bridge and wash pass ways on hole #11 for cart traffic and pace of play; new tee box construction on holes #11 and #18; desert brush removal throughout the property; a makeover of the men’s and women’s locker rooms in the clubhouse; and a new Club Car golf cart fleet.
Summer 2015 renovations included resurfacing all putting greens with Champion Ultra Dwarf Bermuda grass; modifying and softening of green undulations to allow for faster green speeds; the expansion of putting surfaces; the redesign of bunkers on five holes; and the expansion of landing areas on three holes.
“We continue to find ways to improve and enhance the overall experience here at SunRidge Canyon,” said Kris Starr, director of operations, SunRidge Canyon. “This year’s enhancements are focusing on improving playability and pace of play by removing a number of bunkers as well as levelling and expanding tee boxes. We continue to be committed to making SunRidge Canyon one of the finest golf, instruction and dining experiences in the Southwest.”
Latest posts by Wes Neal (see all)
- Scottsdale Golf Week - October 16, 2017
- SunRidge Canyon Golf Club in Midst of Summer Improvements - August 7, 2017
- Sunridge Canyon Golf Club Continues To Improve And Evolve With Course And Facility Enhancements, Plus New Logo - September 12, 2016